It was a tough case but I am extremely happy with the results. I have already recommended Louise Herman to my friends and family.
FALSE CLAIMS ACT/QUI TAM ACTIONS
The Whistleblower or Qui Tam provision of the False Claims Act allows a private citizen with information that a company has submitted fraudulent or false claims to the federal government to bring a lawsuit to recover the stolen funds. In addition to the federal False Claims Act, many states, including Rhode Island and Massachusetts, have enacted similar False Claims Act statutes.
The private citizen who brings a successful qui tam lawsuit under the False Claims Act is entitled to an award of between 15% and 30% of the funds recovered by the government. Whistleblowers have been rewarded millions of dollars.
Common types of fraudulent and false claims:
- Medicare and Medicaid billing fraud including:
- Submitting false claims to Medicare or Medicaid
- Submitting claims for unnecessary care, treatment, tests, medical devices or equipment
- Over-billing, upcoding or unbundling services
- Fraudulent cost reporting
- Billing for services not provided
- Failing to provide the required quality of care
- Receiving or paying kickbacks
- Government Contracts
- Defense/Military Contracts including submitting claims for substandard or defective equipment and parts or foreign made products
- Government Construction Projects
- Pharmaceutical Fraud, including off-label promotion, overcharging the Government
and providing kickbacks to physicians
- Federally Subsidized or Guaranteed Loans and Mortgages
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
The SEC now provides individuals with rewards of 10% to 30% of the amount of sanctions and penalties the SEC imposes on wrongdoers as a result of a whistleblower's information.
Under the IRS Whistleblower law, a private citizen who reports tax underreporting to the government may be entitled to a reward of between 15% and 30% of the IRS recovery. Under federal and state False Claims Acts, it is unlawful to retaliate against an employee who reports fraud against the government.
If you believe that your employer is involved in defrauding the federal or state government and if you have reported the fraud and have been retaliated against, you may contact the Law Office of Louise A. Herman for a free and secure consultation.